Black plantation shuttered by ‘black power’
A man who has been locked out of his home and locked out from his bank account has been forced to buy black plantation shutter shutters in order to stay in his home.
The man, who has no legal access to his bank accounts, told ABC Radio Melbourne the cost of the shutters was $40,000, adding that he would rather die than have to buy them.
“My house is full of dead bodies,” he said.
“The whole street is dead bodies.
There are dead bodies all over.
I would rather be killed in this house than have my bank account frozen.”
The man said he had been locked into a one-bedroom apartment in Melbourne’s south-east with no access to a car and a number of locks.
“They’ve taken away the lock on my front door, but I can’t get it back,” he told ABC radio.
“I’m still stuck in here, in this very, very miserable state.”
Mr Bales said the family had been unable to get access to the bank account that was frozen for a month after the man had been given a notice to pay the balance of his overdraft on January 18.
“It’s been almost three months and I’ve never had my bank cards,” he explained.
“What they’ve done is taken away my bank card, taken away all my accounts, even my bank statements, and then I have no access at all to the money I have on deposit in my account.”
‘I don’t trust the government’ The man told the ABC that the family were now being locked out by the bank, who did not have access to their personal information, and had not been given access to documents in order for them to make an appointment to make payments on their home.
“We’ve been left with no other choice,” he added.
“People don’t do that.
It’s very wrong.”
The family have now been unable, for the second time, to pay rent.
“When I moved in there was a very big black community here and we felt very, much more at home,” he recalled.
“Then we started paying rent and now it’s gone.”
Mr Jonsson said the shuttering of the home had been traumatic, as the man was unable to access the money he owed.
“He’s a family man, he’s a good man, and he should have no say in his own life,” he claimed.
“But the way that the government has dealt with this has really put us in a really bad position.”
‘He needs to pay back the money’ Mr Jorsson said he would like to have his money back, but that he was still stuck on the bill, because the shuttered properties had not yet been fully emptied out.
“So it’s been a very frustrating situation,” he insisted.
“And we’re still not getting any answers.”
The ABC has contacted the Commonwealth Bank for comment.
The ABC’s Julia Burchfield said the Bank of Tasmania’s managing director would be making a statement on the matter later today.
The Federal Government has already warned the man to pay his debts and warned people against making financial arrangements for their own home without securing an appointment.
It said there had been “unprecedented levels of fraud” in Australia’s banking system in recent years, and the bank had been notified of “at least three cases of people being left with large amounts of money”.
The ABC is calling on the Federal Government to take action and get to the bottom of the case.