Virginia man, father killed in fire, family rescued from home
A Virginia man died and his father was rescued from a home after a fire broke out in the backyard of a home in the rural town of Burgundy.
The blaze started about 3:30 a.m.
Wednesday in a home that was not on the firefighting list and firefighters were called to the home because they believed the owner was using a propane stove.
It was not immediately clear what sparked the fire.
The blaze destroyed the home, but the home’s owner, Anthony B. Brown, is safe, Virginia State Police Capt. John M. O’Donnell said.
The fire was under control about 3 hours later, but firefighters were unable to reach the home until the early morning hours.
The Brown family was taken to a hospital and were in good condition, M.O.D. said.
Firefighters used heat and smoke alarms to try to find a cause for the blaze and had to be ordered back to the house, O’Dell said.